Friday, December 13, 2013

10 Holiday Gift Ideas for Bibliophiles

If you're anything like me, you can't get enough of crazy-creative book-related items. But like any themed gift, they can veer toward the tacky and poorly made. Here are my top ten current favorites, perfect for the bibliophile on your list:

10.  Reading Mugs
Who doesn't love sipping chai out of a reading-related mug while devouring the latest Tana French novel? I could have a cabinet full of these and still find an excuse to buy more. Honorable Mention: Mug that reads: "You had me at the proper use of 'you're'".
$16 http://www.zazzle.com/go_away_im_reading_coffee_mug-168942890660892017

9. Book jacket poster

Four years ago, I received a Dorothy Parker poster. I've moved several times since then and it always hangs in a place of prominence. Vintage book posters like this one are impossibly cool.
$16 http://www.theliterarygiftcompany.com/a-farewell-to-arms-poster-887-p.asp

8. Literary scarves
I've seen several iterations of literary themed scarves, but this is one of my favorites. It's subtle and the graphic reads nicely.
$55 http://www.theliterarygiftcompany.com/vintage-typewriter-scarf---cinnamon-14924-p.asp

7. Book picture frame
This is such a fun piece of decor- perfect for night stands, end tables, and shelves above fire places.
$16 Book picture frame

6. Clever bookmark
I'll get you, my pretty... Even in the age of e-readers, nothing can replace a good bookmark. Especially this one.
$25 https://www.etsy.com/listing/93277198/personalized-wicked-witch-bookmark?ref=related-0

5. Book-themed perfume
This unisex scent is meant to evoke the smell of book pages. Bonus: It comes packaged in a book.
$90 https://www.taigan.com/shops/booksandbooks/items/31725-paper-passion-perfume-by-books-books?gclid=CPi-tJqnrrsCFclQOgodCWUAbw

4. Antique book clock
 
I used to have a clock that looked like a plain elementary schoolroom clock but in the middle it said, "Time to Read". It got lost in the move and I've missed it ever since. I love this clock's antique aesthetic and clever re-purposing.
$22 Antique book clock

3. Dictionary shoes

Leave it to TOMS to make a shoe that is both comfortable and educational. DISCLOSURE: These were my Christmas present... to myself.
$54 http://www.toms.com/womens/features/new-arrivals/dictionary-quotes-women-s-classics/s

2. Book planter
 A lovely and original idea for a window shelf or a table centerpiece.
$25 Book planter

1. Biblio Origami
I stumbled across this art form while shopping for literary decorations for my wedding and now I'm obsessed. This is gorgeous, creative and original.
$125 Folded Art


*BONUS ITEM*:
None of these fit your wallet or your bibliophile? Get back to the basics and consider gifting an actual book. May I humbly recommend:


I'm currently devouring this clever, funny literary mystery. This book is so cool the cover actually glows in the dark. 
$15 http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Penumbras-24-Hour-Bookstore-Novel/dp/1250037751


What about you? What book-related items are you purchasing or pining after this holiday season?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love love love that bookmark! There is also some really cute jewelry I have been coveting on etsy.com, they take book pictures and put them on scrabble tiles to make pendants. I am thinking an Alice in Wonderland something or other... :)

Unknown said...

I love that! For my wedding, I bought a pendant off of Etsy that says "Reader, I married him". I'm going to put it on after the ceremony!